Notable places to visit in Ladakh
The region is known for its diverse landscapes and a culturally rich heritage. It is frequented by travellers from all across India and the world. Students, families, foreigners, honeymooners all come rushing. The few most interesting things to do in Ladakh are mentioned as below:
- Safari in Ladakh: When in Ladakh, you have the option to either choose a high powered automobile or stick to the old reliable camel. The trans-Himalayan area of Ladakh offers you both normal and testing terrain. For the automobile enthusiast in you, Ladakh is the perfect place to put your skills to test. Khardungla pass, one of the world’s highest motor-able roads, is not worth missing. But if you like it calm and slow, then jump aboard the double humped Bactrian camel at Hunder. The sand dunes there are often referred to as “desert in the sky”.
- Magnetic hill: Located on the Leh-Kargil-Baltik national highway, it is believed to be powerful enough to pull a car towards itself upon entering its radius. It is definitely one of the high points of the trip.
- Trekking in Ladakh: Ladakh is a heaven for trekkers, the diverse terrain offers tourists from all over the world innumerable treks. The most popular ones include Ripchar Valley trek, Lumayuru to Alchi trek, Padum to Darcha trek, Markha Valley trek etc.
- River Rafting: Ladakh is blessed by three major rivers, where you can go for river rafting. Indus River in Leh region, Zanskar River in Zanskar and Shayok River in Nubra region are the major ones. The stretch between Padum and Nimo in Zanskar mountains is considered to be a very challenging one. It’s definitely not for the faint hearted.
- Paragliding: If you are not afraid of great heights, then paragliding is a must. The view Of Ladakh from high in the sky is absolutely breathtaking and unmatched. You catch the true essence and beauty of Ladakh from a bird’s eye view.
- Mountaineering: Situated right amongst the Great Himalayan range, Ladakh is the perfect place for mountaineering. With mountains varying in heights from 15000ft to 21000ft, you can take your pick. Nun-Kun massif is one of the very popular mountaineering destinations in Ladakh. June to September is the best time to explore these giants of nature.
- Skiing: In the months from December to March, Ladakh gets covered in a white blanket of snow, and so begins the sport of skiing. With Snow-clad Mountains reaching out to the sky, Ladakh is the perfect spot for skiing. Several annual skiing competitions are held every year. Adrenaline junkies from all over the world flock to participate in these thrillers.
Ladakh being a tourist hub has plenty of options for accommodation. You can find wide variety of hotels to your need. PRIM Resorts in Ladakh that combines the perfect affordability with comfort is a name worth mentioning. It’s professionally trained staff takes care of all your needs. The mouth watering cuisines they offer will add another exotic memory to take back home.